TOLEDO, Ohio – The Toledo men’s basketball team (11-6, 2-2 MAC) looks to continue its recent success against Ohio when it hosts the Bobcats (9-8, 1-3 MAC) on Tuesday, Jan. 17 in Savage Arena. Tip-off time is set for 7:00 p.m. with streaming on ESPN+.
The Rockets swept their season series last year vs. Ohio with an 87-69 victory in Athens and a 77-62 triumph in the Glass City. UT has won seven of its last eight meetings against the Bobcats, including four in a row on its home floor.
Toledo will be aiming to win back-to-back games in league play for the first time following Saturday’s 84-67 win at Northern Illinois. Sophomore Dante Maddox Jr. tallied a team-high 18 points, marking the first time he has UT in scoring this season. Senior Setric Millner Jr., senior JT Shumate and junior RayJ Dennis also each scored 15 points to provide the Rockets a balanced scoring attack. Junior AJ Edu helped UT register a 44-32 rebound advantage by grabbing a season-high nine boards.
Toledo limited NIU to a 39.6 field-goal percentage, marking the third-straight contest the Rockets have held their opponent under 40 percent.
Toledo ranks seventh nationally with a MAC-best 84.5 ppg as well as ranking 24th with 10.7 TOs/game and 26th with a 48.3 FG%.
Individually, RayJ Dennis ranks 15th in the nation with 5.9 apg and 25th with a 2.8 A/TO ratio. JT Shumate ranks 12th nationally with a 91.2 FT% and third in the MAC with a team-high 18.2 ppg. He is the only player in the MAC to rank in the Top 10 in FG% (56.7/6th), 3PTFG% (41.1/6th) and FT% (91.2/3rd).
Ohio opened MAC play with road losses at Buffalo and Bowling Green before defeating Ball State and falling to Kent State at home last week. Senior Dwight Wilson is averaging 18.5 ppg and 11.5 rpg in league play with a 64.3 FG%.
TOLEDO VS. OHIO
Date: Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2023.
Tip-Off: 7:00 p.m.
Location: Toledo, Ohio.
Arena: Savage Arena (7,014).
Television: ESPN+. Mason Lowry will provide play-by-play for broadcast with Rhett Boyd serving as analyst.
Radio: Rocket Radio Network. WSPD (1370 AM) in Toledo. Mark Beier will provide play-by-play for broadcast with Jay Lehman serving as analyst.
Ohio leads 72-64. Toledo has won 10 of its last 13 games vs. Ohio, including its last five visits to Athens. UT swept the season series last year with an 87-69 road win and 77-62 home victory.
Toledo has held its last three opponents under 40 percent shooting from the field after holding its opponent under that mark just twice in its first 14 contests.
The Rockets rank third in league play in FG% defense (42.2) after holding Western Michigan to a 38.7 mark, Kent State to a 38.6 FG% and Northern Illinois to a 39.6 figure.
UT’s opponents are shooting 38.9 percent from the field during this stretch and 35.5 percent from three-point range. For the season, Toledo’s opponents have a 48.3 FG% and a 37.5 three-point FG%.
PROTECTING THE BALL
Toledo ranks 24th in the nation with a MAC-low 10.7 turnovers per game. The Rockets have committed 10 or fewer turnovers in nine of 17 contests and just 9.1 miscues per game in their last seven games.
ROCKETS IN THE NCAA RANKINGS
• Toledo ranks seventh in the nation with 84.5 ppg.
• The Rockets are also in the Top 30 in fewest turnovers/game (24th/10.7), FG% (26th/48.3), A/TO ratio (27th/1.42), and free-throws made/game (30th/15.8)
• RayJ Dennis ranks 15th with a career-high 5.9 apg and 25th with a 2.88 A/TO ratio.
• JT Shumate ranks 12th with a 91.2 FT% and 47th with a 56.7 FG%. Shumate has made 19 straight free throws and has a 56.3 FG% and 50.0 three-point FG% (14-of-28) in his last seven games.
ROCKETS IN THE MAC RANKINGS
• Toledo leads the MAC with 84.5 ppg, nearly six points better than Buffalo (78.7), and is also first in FG% (48.3), A/TO ratio (1.42) and fewest turnovers/game (10.7).
• The Rockets are also second with a three-point FG% (37.5), assists/game (15.2), and a plus-2.12 turnover margin.
• UT is the only school to have three players among the MAC’s Top 20 scoring leaders — JT Shumate (18.2/3rd), RayJ Dennis (17.9/4th), and Setric Millner Jr. (14.8 ppg/13th).
• Dennis leads the MAC with 5.9 apg and a 2.9 assist/turnover ratio.
• Shumate is the only player in the MAC to rank in the Top 10 in FG% (56.7/6th), 3PTFG% (41.1%/6th) and FT% (91.2/3rd).
• Shumate leads the MAC with nine 20-point outings and is third with 1.5 bpg.
• Dennis is second with eight in the MAC with eight 20-point contests.
• Dante Maddox Jr. is fourth with a 42.9 3PTFG%.
• Ra’Heim Moss is fourth with 1.8 spg and Millner Jr is eighth with 6.4 rpg.
• Toledo was ranked No. 16 in this week’s CollegeInsiders.com poll. Kent State is the only other MAC team in the rankings at No. 4.
• Toledo is the only MAC school to win 13 or more league games four of last five years.
• Toledo is looking to become the first school to win three straight outright league titles since Cincinnati won four in a row from the 1947-48 through 1950-51 seasons.
• Since opening the season with a three-game winning streak, the Rockets have won two straight games on three occasions. UT registered a nine-game win streak last year and an eight-game unbeaten stretch in the 2020-21 campaign.
• The Rockets have scored 90 or more points on five occasions and have topped the 100-point mark three times. Toledo scored 112 points vs. Oakland (Nov. 16) to match its most points ever scored under Coach Kowalczyk.
• UT is averaging 92.0 ppg in its seven home games and 78.7 ppg in six road contests.
• Toledo has three MAC Player of Week honorees this season – RayJ Dennis (Nov. 14, Dec. 12) and JT Shumate (Nov. 21). Shumate has also earned MAC Male Scholar-Athlete of Week honors on two occasions (Dec. 14, Jan. 11).
• Toledo was 8-2 in conference road games last season after posting a 6-3 mark in league contests away from home in the 2020-21 campaign.
ON THE HORIZON
Toledo will visit Buffalo (8-9, 2-2 MAC) on Friday, Jan. 20 at 8:30 p.m. for a nationally televised contest on the CBS Sports Network. UT is back home next week for games vs. EMU (4-13, 1-3 MAC) on Tuesday, Jan. 24 and BGSU (8-9, 2-2 MAC) on Saturday, Jan. 28.