TOLEDO, Ohio – Senior JT Shumate’s 20 points led five Rockets in double figures as the Toledo men’s basketball team posted a dominating 90-67 triumph over Atlantic 10 foe Richmond (3-4) on Wednesday evening. The victory improved Toledo’s record in Savage Arena to 3-0 and was the Rockets’ second win this season over a 2022 NCAA Tournament squad.
“That’s a very good win against a really well-coached Atlantic 10 team,” Head Coach Tod Kowalczyk said. “We played like a together, tough team that responds to adversity. I thought our starters were great from start to finish and that Andre (Lorentsson), EJ (Farmer) and AJ (Edu) gave us some big minutes, especially in the first half.”
Toledo (5-2) limited Richmond to a 36.2 shooting mark, while nearly converting half of its shots (49.1 percent, 31-of-63). The Rockets were also efficient from the three-point line (40.9 percent, 9-of-22) and charity stripe (82.6 percent, 18-of-23).
“We played with more discipline defensively tonight,” Kowalczyk said. “We stayed down and stayed in front of them better. We also were a plus-14 against a really good rebounding team and that limited their second-chance points.”
Joining Shumate in double digits were junior RayJ Dennis (17 pts.), sophomore Dante Maddox Jr. (15 pts.), senior Setric Millner Jr. (13 pts.) and sophomore Ra’Heim Moss (13 pts.).
Moss also shared team rebounding honors with sophomore Andre Lorentsson as each grabbed eight boards apiece. The duo’s performance on the glass helped Toledo register a 44-30 rebounding advantage.
Dennis and Maddox each dished out a team-high five assists as the Rockets totaled 19 assists and just nine turnovers in the contest.
Senior Tyler Burton topped the Spiders with 15 points and nine rebounds.
Toledo returns to action on Saturday, Dec. 3 at George Mason (4-4). Tip-off time in Eaglebank Arena is set for 2:00 p.m. with streaming on ESPN+.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Toledo took an early 7-3 lead on Ra’Heim Moss’ layup following a Dante Maddox Jr. steal.
- The lead then changed hands 11 times over the next 10 minutes when the Rockets went on a 6-0 spurt to take a 27-23 advantage at the 3:26 mark.
- EJ Farmer scored the first two baskets during that key momentum swing and RayJ Dennis’ layup capped it off.
- Richmond fought back to even the score at 29-29 but Maddox and Andre Lorentsson hit back-to-back triples to put UT up six 1:28 before halftime.
- Maddox’s three-point play with 14 seconds left gave Toledo its largest lead of the half, 40-31, but Richmond hit two free throws to cut its deficit to seven at the break.
- Maddox and JT Shumate topped Toledo in the first half with nine points.
- Setric Millner Jr. capped off an 8-1 burst to open the second half to give Toledo a 48-34 cushion less than three minutes in.
- Dennis’ three-pointer just over a minute later increased the Rockets’ lead to 54-36.
- The Spiders rallied with a 12-1 spurt to reduce UT’s lead to 55-48 on with 13:46 remaining on Jason Roche’s second three-pointer of the game.
- Roche hit another triple two minutes later to make it a 57-51 contest but that was as close as the Spiders would come.
- Toledo responded with seven unanswered points beginning with Shumate’s three-point play followed by two free throws apiece from Dennis and Maddox.
- The Rockets’ lead didn’t fall below nine points for the game’s final 10 minutes.